Language requirements

Language proficiency is essential for successful participation in one of our programmes. International students who enrol in one of HU University of Applied Sciences Utrecht's English-taught programmes must provide sufficient results of an English-language test (see table below).

students in front of cityhall

Exemptions may be granted – please refer to the list below for more information.

International students who apply for a Dutch-taught programme must provide proof of Dutch proficiency of at least CEFR level B2.

Bachelor programmes: proof of English proficiency

HU accepts one of the following documents as proof of English proficiency:

Name Type Minimum score
Certificate of TOEFL Internet-based or iBT Home Edition 80
Paper-based or ITP Plus for China 550
Certificate of IELTS Academic 6.0
TOEIC Listening and Reading Test +
Speaking and Writing Test
Listening and Reading: 670
Speaking and Writing: 290
Cambridge English Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) Grade A scale 180 - 184
Cambridge English First (FCE) Grade B scale 173 - 175
Cambridge English First (FCE) Grade C scale 169 - 172

Language requirements for Master programmes

For our English-taught Master programmes, you can find the requirements on the respective websites for Data-Driven Design , Next-Level Engineering , Sustainable Business Transition and Teacher Education in English , German or French . Make sure to arrange and prepare for your language test as soon as possible.

Do you need to take an English-language exam?

You can get information on test dates, scheduling and costs at the respective websites of TOEFL or IELTS , or Cambridge English . When taking the TOEFL or IELTS exam, please use HU's institutional code 9942 for your results to be copied to us directly.

Exemptions to the English Language Requirement

Some international students are granted exemption from the English language test based on their high school diploma:

  • Students who have obtained a secondary school diploma in the UK, US, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or Australia.
  • Students who receive the South-African National Senior Certificate and have taken English as their Home Language.
  • Students with an accredited international American high-school diploma or British international GCSE/A-levels.
  • Students with the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma, the Caribbean Examinations Council certificate, or European Baccalaureate with English as first or second language.
  • Students with a secondary education diploma mentioned in the Nuffic Diploma list ( download as PDF-file ), including English language as part of the curriculum. This only applies if you actually took English as an exam subject in your final year.

All other students must submit a proof of English proficiency by submitting one of the abovementioned certificates.

Bachelor programmes: proof of Dutch proficiency

Students with a foreign diploma must show proof of Dutch proficiency to enrol into a Dutch-taught programme. This also applies to students with a Dutch nationality who have obtained their high school diploma outside of the Netherlands.

HU accepts the following documents as proof of Dutch proficiency:

Exemptions to the Dutch Language Requirement

Some international students are granted exemption from the Dutch language test based on their former diploma:

  • Students who have obtained a MBO-4, HAVO or VWO diploma in Suriname, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, BES Islands or Aruba.
  • Students with an EPI diploma taught in Dutch.
  • Students who have obtained a diplomas from the Dutch-taught education system in Belgium.
  • Students with the International Baccalaureate (IB) with Dutch Language A (SL or HL) or Language B (HL).
  • Students with the European Baccalaureate (EB) with Dutch as Language 1 or 2.

Follow us on